Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Becoming a Stranger/It's [Not] Beginning to Feel A Lot Like Christmas

Becoming a Stranger

12/12/09

I am getting weird. The longer I am here in Africa, the stranger I get. Between the immersion into this new culture, speaking a new language, having all new friends and infrequent communication with my friends at home I can tell that I am already different. I am worried that being in Masha, a very remote village, will magnify the Africa effect. Here are some examples I can think of. In Ethiopia, a way of saying "yes" is gasping (the first few weeks whenever someone "said" yes I asked "what happened"). At first this was weird to me, but now I do it too and I know it will drive you all crazy when I go home. Also, when speaking to Ethiopians I speak in broken English so that they may better understand me. I also do direct translations to help them out (instead of "How are you?" it is "Are you fine?" or "I can't" is "It is not possible"). Now, sometimes when speaking to other volunteers I use my Africa voice. Andy and Berny...if you are reading this I think you are cringing. I also have a few Amharic words that I use in everyday conversation that make perfect sense to everyone here, but will be just as foreign as the aussie slang I once was fluent in. I also have NO idea what is going on the the United States. I do not know what the economy is like, what the deal is with health care reform, pop culture (though I was never good at that before), fads or any current events. I do not know what is going on in the lives of my friends. I don't know what the inside jokes are, what YouTube video the Putnam kids are quoting, what movie Mike is obsessing over, if Mark and Kate have any new squatters in their home or how Ellie's doing in England. Facebook tells me more about my friends than they do...and in a week I will no longer have Internet on a weekly basis. I feel like I will be like Fry when he first gets sent to the 31st century, or like Tom Hank's character in Cast Away when he comes back from the island. I can already understand why Peace Corps warns us more about coming home than leaving.

Speaking of becoming a stranger, I will be leaving Gonde and starting all over again in Masha. I am finally comfortable here, I have friends (both American and Ethiopian), my family is wonderful, I know my way around, people don't try to rip me off as much and the kids know my name here. I am very excited, but also very scared about moving to Masha. I keep reminding myself that Gonde was crazy scary 2 months ago and now it is home. The culture shock from Gonde to Masha will be nothing compared to that of America to Gonde. Things that would make me very uncomfortable in America are now no problem. If my point of view can change that quickly, I can become comfortable in Masha. It's going to be difficult and lonely the first few months, so I hope to get a lot of letters and phone calls. Don't forget about me, I certainly haven't forgotten about any of you.



It's [Not] Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas

12/13/09

It is less than two weeks from Christmas and I have barely thought about it. There is no snow, there are no Christmas lights or TV specials, Ethiopia doesn't even celebrate Christmas this month. I even miss the Christmas music (except that one song that has the children's choir during the chorus) and traffic jams on the way from Hamden to Putnam. I think it is better though that I do not feel like it is Christmas. When I do think about it I get very sad and homesick. Being here takes the Hallmark out of the holidays though. When I think of Christmas I do not miss the gifts, I do not miss the overabundance of food, I do not miss the cocktails, the mall, or the snow. I miss my family and friends. I miss having the first glass of Hood eggnog with dad and making dinner with mom. I miss baking cookies with Jess (or at least testing the cookies she bakes). I miss getting excited to play with the Rice kids the day after Christmas. I miss secret santa (my gift will be late...sorry!). I miss playing pitch with the family. I miss Mandy jumping on me. I miss how Danshults' family knows every single gift under the tree even before they unwrap them. I miss playing wii games with Spencer. When I start thinking of these things I am reminded that 2 years is a long time to be away. At that low point I need to get out and spend time with my Ethiopian family, vent with my PC friends or just take a walk. It does not take me long to remember why I joined the Peace Corps. This country still amazes me and there will always be something to make me smile here. Today it was seeing my favorite Gonde kid in a denim trench coat...I hadn't seen her in a few days and she was just as excited as I was to see her.


4 comments:

danielle88 said...

Gday Nikki,
I have been reading your blog so thought it was about time i write a comment. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling sad and nostalgic this Chrissy...I hope that you will find a way to celebrate the festive season, whether that be by yourself or with others. I sent you a little something today which I know you probly wont get before Chrissy but hopefully it wont take too long to get there. I hope no-one in customs opens it and eats it either. Well anyway just wanted to say i miss u...its strange seeing your USA friends say they miss having you around...for me, it is the same distance from Africa or from America, so i miss u just the same as usual lol. Hopefully hear from ya soon xox.
ps. i saw a flat, squashed out goon box on the road today...and my first thought was 'wow i could make a car if i had 10 more of those and some masking tape'...naturally, i then thought of you.

danielle88 said...

pps. if it makes u feel any better, it is so hot/humid here that my christmas pudding went mouldy a few days after i made it. so u wont be the only one going without christmas pudding this year hahaha

Unknown said...

Mike is now obsessing over Avatar-- James Cameron film. We HAD to see if opening weekend-- at the Pallisades MALL of all places, the weekend before Christmas-- the biggest mall on the east coast-- and the only mall open in the Northern NJ area on Sundays---- so of course it took 45 mins to park-- and we were quite grumpy. We saw it in IMax 3-D. It gave me a huge headache--- Mike was the only one that really loved the film-- Mark, Cody and I thought it was okay.

Mark and Kate have no new squatters. Still just me and Cody-- though we still enjoy our living situation. We bought an overpriced tree in a lot-- and decorated it very nicely. I made lots of cookies again for everyone. It was better when we made them together of course!

I got a job! It's funny because I went into the interview thinking I wasn't going to like the place-- and then ended up loving it. It's a sensory gym for kids with sensory processing disorder (mostly kids on the spectrum) and its about 25 mins away from the NJ house. They are also building a pool and will train me in aquatic therapy!!! Now I'm awaiting licensing paperwork to begin working--- could take forever-- I'm also studying for the boards. Today, I took a practice exam that said I was "quite deficient" in most areas on the exam-- although other practice exams say otherwise. Oy.

Let's see what else. We had a christmas party at our NJ house- Danshults came. We made lots of fancy food and a gnarly punch. Mike's night ended not so nicely-- and his eyes looked like when I stood on my head during "Don't be a Dork!" and had to recite a children's rhyme. We had a family party to go to the next day--- couldn't take him looking like that! Luckily there was a snow storm to blame it on!

What else? Adam asked me to be his Confirmation sponsor! It made me feel so honored and proud-- not until next year, but still.

I think you're all caught up now! I'm gonna call you right now to wish you a Merry Christmas Eve!
Love you and take care!

Jacqueline said...

As for pop culture, I can tell you something that will make you giggle. :)

There was an episode of 30 Rock that made me think of you. Kenneth had a box of pizza, and Tracy says "Aw, man! I wanted waffles!" Then Kenneth opens the pizza box and inside are waffles. Tracy, Lutz, Grizz, Dotcom, Liz, etc all shout "YAYYY!!!" and throw up their hands in a we-just-got-a-yahtzee sort of way. And it made me miss you.