Saturday, December 5, 2009

Something to be Thankful For

12/03/09

So many of you know I was very ill on Thanksgiving. I had a 24 hour bug that has been passed through my family, it was only a matter of time until I got it. Unfortunately the one day that the Peace Corps made a delicious American meal was Thanksgiving: the day I spent with a fever, throwing up and shitting all day. The funny thing is though,I have never been so thankful on Thanksgiving. I am immensely thankful for the two jell-o jigglers that I was able to stomach without throwing up. I am thankful that I had great friends to spend the holiday with. I am thankful that my friends convinced me to go to Assela even though I was feeling ill. I am thankful for all the great notes my fellow trainees left in my envelope. I am thankful that people know me well enough to thank me for teaching all the card games rather than for my "great smile" (the default compliment people go to when they can't think of anything else). I am thankful that I do have a FANTASTIC group of people to share my Peace Corps experience with and to lean on for support. I am thankful that these people aren't still entertaining the freshman-in-college mentality of "I love absolutely everything about everyone". I am thankful that I have a wonderful host family that went out of their way to treat me to a good holiday even though I could barely stand to eat. I am thankful that in a country so far away from CT I can feel at home. I am thankful that I have this opportunity to reach people that can really benefit from my skill set. I am thankful that I have enough electricity to make it through a buna ceremony. I am thankful that my friends and family have the opportunity to find work and enjoy living in a developed nation. I am thankful that even in economic uncertainty my family and friends are surviving comfortably. It is a weird feeling to be thankful for basic needs...something that many Americans (though definitely not all....people here seem to think that all Americans are rich) will never struggle for. Even when I was worried about finances at home I was never worried about having a place to stay...but I have already met so many people that have to make the decision whether or not to eat. I am planning on making mac and cheese on Christmas this year....and I am very, very thankful for my mom who is sending options for Christmas dinner. I remember just a few years ago when the family was unable to get together and my mom and I had thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant. I remember being very upset and depressed that we spent the holiday just the two of us....today I find myself wishing to death that I was having dinner with my mom, let alone my whole family. Funny how life can put itself into perspective when you need it.

In other news, I am almost finished with training. Crazy- it feels like home was so, so long ago, but it also seems like I just got to Ethiopia. When I think about Philly and my first few awkward nights in Gonde where I sat and smiled while life happened around me I laugh.Now I start and sometimes even dominate conversations at home. I laugh with my host family and have real, deep conversations with my American friends. I am moving to Masha soon and feel completely lost, but I find comfort in knowing that I can have a conversation with someone in Amharic....a language that seemed more foreign than Elvish a few weeks ago.I am pleading to all of you to send me mail in Masha and to call me on or near Christmas. I am having a difficult time with the holidays...my training ends right before Christmas..I am going to try my hardest to make it feel like any other average day, but I suspect the day will have an aura of sadness and loneliness.
I will write again when I get to Masha. I hope to hear from you soon.I miss you all and love you tremendously.

Cheers,
Nikki

No comments: