Thursday, January 14, 2010

New Years

Happy New Years!!! Like Christmas, Ethiopians do not celebrate New Years on the same day, so I did not celebrate. In fact, I went to bed at 9pm...just like I do every other night of the week. There's not much to do when it's not advisable to be out past dark and there's no electricity to even read by. The lack of things to do at night just got a little more severe as my AC adapter blew out from the wacky voltage here. I have 4 hours left before my computer doesn't work any more. I was feeling pretty down about that yesterday, so I started re-reading Albert Schweitzer's "The Primeval Forest". I wanted to save my Schweitzer books for when I actually started working, but I needed some inspiration. The kids begging for money, the overly insistent guy asking me to marry him, the crazy lady that follows me absolutely everywhere and the yelling was starting to get to me yesterday, the AC adapter was the last straw. While I read i am copying down quotes that make me feel better about being here for so long. The three I have now are:

"I feel more and more convinced than ever that this land needs to help it men who will never let themselves be discouraged" (p 28)

"Yet what do all these disagreeables count for compared with the joy of being here, working and helping" (p 36)

"I should be sorry not to be able to look back on those wonderful minutes, uncomfortable though the experience seemed at the time" (p 56)

I went to sleep last night feeling much better and work up in a good mood. I spend all day walking through town and in the jungle to orient myself and meet more people, then read some Peace Corps material over tea. When I got home I found all my American candy and cookies stolen. My room was locked, so someone must have broke in. It's not the candy I care about (ok so maybe it is a little) but it's the fact that my room was locked and someone went in. I spoke to my landlady and she was receptive to my requests to reboard up my door, put in window screens and i spoke to the kids. I talked to one of the kids that helps me out and she was so sweet and offered to go buy me Ethiopian candy today. I, of course, said no, but the offer made me love Ethiopia again.

Other than those two instances, I've really enjoyed Masha. The weather is absolutely perfect, never too hot and never cold, the scenery is beautiful, the honey and tej delicious. I know where most things are now and can go shopping by myself (this is a bigger feat than it sounds) and I have even made a few frends. Work is progressing slowly but surely. I have had a few interviews and when information wasn't known or available someone offered to look it up for me. As long as I don't remind myself that I am here for two years, I am very happy here.

1 comment:

romeob said...

OK, NIKKI...I will try again. This is my second or third attempt at comment section...it never seems to work for me. Sorry about the break-in and theft of candy and cookies. Not like New Zeland was it? Your vehicle was robbed of all your stuff?? Well, the Blackmar's are determined to get you a care package off this week. The weather sounds terrific so keep enjoying that part of the adventure. Hope your next week is better than the last one. Hang in there...before you know it you will be walkin' talkin' and dancin' like everyone in town. (The dancin' part should come easy.)
Have a good one! Romeo